Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Bake 52 Week 42 - Oatmeal Scones

I wasn't to excited about this recipe...  I put it off and put it off until I was almost out of time.  But I don't want to skip something just because it doesn't look appetizing to me.  The whole idea behind the baking group is to try stuff you wouldn't normally try so I couldn't skip one just because it didn't look very appetizing. 

Well, I was surprised at the outcome...  It was a really simple recipe, roast the oats.
While they were in the oven I started mixing the dry ingredients and then cut in the buttter.

Once that was blended together to look like crumbs

you mix that with the cooled oats and the liquids

The recipe said something about mixing it as best you can and then dump the "mess" (not the exact words) on the counter and use your hands to shape.

It's quite a mess, huh?  It came together okay and I got it formed into a circle and cut it into pieces. 

But when I tried to move the pieces apart it seemed like it was going to fall apart so I just stuck it in the oven as was. 

When the timer went off it looked like the middle wasn't done but now it was sturdy enough that I could move the pieces apart.  I cooked it for another 5 or so minutes and...

All done!  I had a quick taste and found that I really liked these.  It's certainly not a dessert.  But it is sweet and would make a yummy dish for brunch or breakfast.  So all in all I'm glad I made it. 

I had to leave town almost as soon as I was done with this so it's all sitting in my frig waiting for my return.  It will be breakfast once I get home.  Yum!  If you want the recipe check out Jennifer's blog.


2 comments:

  1. Glad you ended up liking them. I thought they were good to even though they were different from the regular scones I have tasted in the past. Breakfast is what we ate them for to the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, better than I was expecting!

    ReplyDelete