Saturday, October 20, 2012

Cheddar Chili Cornbread Pasta Bake

I was craving something besides another frozen entree for dinner.  A while ago I bought all the ingredients for this so I got everything together to make it.

 This is my favorite chili recipe - I got it from Brenda (my MIL) when I got married.  It's the only chili Jonathan likes so I already had it on hand. 

This is my favorite corn bread mix.
I didn't check the original recipe very closely.  I had the recipe already printed out and I didn't get back online to check the links to see how much corn bread the mix should make. 

After cooking the noodles I assembled the casserole.  Noodles & cheese first.

Then the chili.
Finally the corn bread mix.

After 30 minutes the top was very brown...

But when I cut into it the corn bread mix was still raw.

So I covered the whole thing with aluminum foil, moved the rack to the bottom of the oven and put it back in for 20 minutes before it was finally cooked through.

It took a lot longer to cook than I planned so I ended up eating a frozen entree any way for dinner but I had to try it before I just stuck the whole thing in the frig.

Tasty!  But next time I'd take half of the corn bread mix and make muffins.  There was way too much corn bread.  It overwhelmed the rest of the flavors.  But it will be nice to have leftovers for lunch this week instead of more frozen entrees.

2 comments:

  1. You need to share the chili recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean the one from Brenda? It's literally just a can of Pork and Beans (28 oz) and a can of no bean chili (15 oz). Mix, heat and eat!

      Delete