Saturday, July 7, 2012

Fourth of July Cookies

The second thing I made with my day off was Fourth of July cookies.  I found the recipe here and they looked so cute and fun I couldn't resist. 

They were really easy because they were a cake mix base cookie.  I melted the butter in the bowl


and then added the cake mix, jello, water, food coloring and an egg.
I mixed it up by hand and I had pretty red cookie dough.
I used an ice cream dipper to portion out my cookies.  I was hoping it would help give me more even sizes.

I think these are bigger than what Jaime did.  I ended up cooking them for 10 minutes to get them to the point where they were spread and just cracking.

While the red cookies baked I made the blue ones.  Same steps just different food coloring and different flavored Jell-O.

Pretty blue...

Once they were all cooked up I let them cool while I made the frosting.

The frosting was a simple powder sugar based butter cream.  It was really, really sweet.

After making sandwiches out of the cookies and icing

then came the hard part.  Decorating!  Using a ziploc for the melted white chocolate worked really well but I couldn't figure out what to do besides U, S, A and stars.  I should have printed out Jaime's cookies for more ideas.

You can see how I got a bit frustrated and just made white chocolate messes on top... Creativity - not my strong suit!  But they sure tasted good.  Good enough that Jonathan wouldn't let me take the leftovers to work.  He bagged them all up and put them in the freezer to eat himself. 

If you decide to freeze them, it works pretty well but unlike sugar cookies (which is Jonathan's other favorite cookie to freeze) you have to let these thaw before you eat them.  The freeze hard! 

3 comments:

  1. Maybe this is a stupid question, but how much can you taste the Jell-O? I really am not a fan of blue raspberry or whatever flavor is blue, but the cookies look really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No it's not. I wondered the same thing before I made them. The Jell-O flavor is actually quite noticable. But the only reason I used blue raspberry is to get the blue color. You could make them with any flavor and then play around with the food coloring and come up with something that gives you the color you want. I would think something like watermelon is light enough that the blue food coloring would completely over power any pink and you'd still get blue cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Xandra and I tried these. We did two batches - one with lime and grape jello and one with strawberry and orange jello. We called the first batch our "Lime Rickey" cookies and the second the "Strange" cookies. They were very fruity. We took some to a party and they were very popular. We are taking the rest up to your folks for dinner.

    ReplyDelete