Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Bake 52 Week 30: Lattice-Top Peach Pie

This week we made Peach Pie. I choose to make teh All-Butter Double-Crust Pie Dough. The other option "Foolproof Double-Crust Pie Dough" called for vodka and the recipe specifically said that vodka was essential and should not be substituted with water. We'll we don't drink and I wasn't interested in buying a bottle of vodka to use a quarter cup in a pie dough recipe!

The pie dough was pretty easy to make. Most of the mixing was done in my food processor. I forgot to take any pictures until I was done with the crust. When I pulled it out of the frig to thaw before rolling out I noticed I hadn't done a very good job with the mixing.
See the big chunk of butter in the dough? I ended up using quite a bit of flour when I rolled out the dough. I think I should have pulsed the food processor a few more times than the recipe called for. 

I got to use my new pastry mat for this recipe. 

It's so wonderful!  No more tape measures and I got my dough to 11" first try!


While the dough was thawing I worked on the peaches.  I used the blanching method to peel my peaches.  For the most part it worked great.  But I got water all over the place when I let the water on the stove boil away on high while I peeled one of the peaches.  After I got the temperature set up so it stayed boiling but not boiling over it went great. 

The peaches were so wonderfully sweet I later wondered if I really needed to add a full cup of sugar to them.


But since you drain off all but 1/4 cup of the juice I figure it didn't matter. 

I had a terrible time with the strips for the lattice top.  To get the dough big enough I had to roll it out really thin.  Plus I didn't take the time to use a ruler to get the width even so they are pretty ragged looking. 


After letting the peaches sit in the sugar for an hour I drained them and mixed in the cornstarch and lemon juice.  Then it was time to assemble the pie!
My dough strips were pretty stiff after being in the freezer for a half hour.  But after letting it all sit for about 10 minutes I was able to shape it and seal it. 

The crimping wasn't very easy either.  That's definitely something you'd have to practice.  The pie cooked up so beautifully!

It finished just before bedtime so I didn't get to try it until the next morning.  Peach Pie for Breakfast!!  Does it get any better than that?

I really, really enjoyed the crust, so sweet and flaky!  It wasn't soggy on the bottom or anything.  I just wish the pie was full of fresh peaches instead of cooked peaches.  They were so yummy raw.  They just aren't that good cooked...

For the full recipe check out Talesha's blog

...

1 comment:

  1. Your pie is beautiful. You just need to make a fresh Peach tart so you can have the peaches raw. :)

    ReplyDelete