Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Bake 52 Week 31: Monkey Bread

I didn't take many pictures this time.  The dough we used for this recipe is the same as the dough we used for the cinnamon rolls a couple of weeks ago.  It's very easy to pull together.  I made the whole dish the day before and then just cooked it the morning I wanted to have it for breakfast.  My biggest issue was dividing the dough into 36 equal pieces...  I finally just squished the dough out into a bit of a tube and then divided the sections in half until I had 36 pieces.
They didn't turn out that equal because I didn't want to mash the dough to much to get a uniform tube.  It was also kind of weird rolling the dough into balls.  Because all the pieces were already kind of cylindrical they seemed to want not want to roll up, they just kind of folded over.  But after several times I found that if I rolled the dough in my hands until it was fairly dense and then kept rolling the cyclinder started to twist itself into a small ball. 

I covered the whole dish with pastic wrap and left it in the fridge overnight.  When I got up the next morning I pulled it right out and let it sit for almost an hour and a half while I went running.  To my surprise it didn't seem to rise anymore than what it had already done in the frig while it was sitting a room temperature.

After 40 minutes in the oven I had beautiful, warm, sweet Monkey Bread.
My parents were visiting me so I had taken the day off work to spend with them.  In honor of their visit I made a big breakfast including this bread. 


It was fun to have a few people to cook for!

For the full recipe check out Jenn's blog. 



3 comments:

  1. Nice to see mom and dad made. We will have to get down for a visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great! And Mom and Dad look like they are really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea - next time I do these I want to make my dough the night before and bake for breakfast...what a great way to start your day!

    ReplyDelete