Friday, August 10, 2012

Brown Sugar Bars

This was my second dessert from the weekend.  It wasn't like anything I've ever had before.  I got the recipe from here and it wouldn't normally be something that I would be attracted to try.  But the blog entry really talked up how amazing they were, so...

The recipe really wants to make sure you can get the dessert out of the pan easily.  I had to grease the pan, put in parchment paper and then butter and flour that! 

The dough tasted a lot like chocolate chip cookie dough without the chocolate chips. 
The dough was incredibly stiff.  It took quite a bit of work/time to get it spread out across the whole pan. 
Then after it baked I got this weirdness happening...
But you cut it in half and make a sandwich with it so I didn't care too much what it looked like. 

The ganach was super easy, took no time at all for the cream to come to a boil and then the chocolate melted easily as I mixed in the cream.  I let it sit to set up a bit before moving on to making the bars. 
See the underside looked fine.  So I cut it in half and flipped it over to spread the ganach on half.

Look how thick the ganach is!!  Yummy!
These bars were tasty but nothing like I was expecting after the build up from Mel.  But they were good and I think it's something anyone would like.  The brown sugar "cake" really tasted like brown sugar and the chocolate really complimented it.  I think maybe I'd like it better with more chocolate - big surprise.  But it wasn't so good I have to make it again. 

1 comment:

  1. So nice of you to try them for me. I love Mel's blog but do feel like she thinks everything is the best. I really like her dinner recipes but I made some cheesecake bars of hers once and they were okay but nothing I would make again.

    ReplyDelete