Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Table Talk - Vegetable Lo Mein

This week for our dinner group we made pasta - I love pasta!   The recipe was for Vegetable Lo Mein.  Traditionally lo mein is made with spaghetti.  I was sure I had some... I was wrong.  So I used eggs noodles instead.  Plus I decided to throw in some leftover chicken too, so I don't think you can call what I made Vegetable Lo Mein... :-)

I started by prepping all the veggies - mushrooms (I bought sliced, so no work there), cabbage (sliced), red peppers, scallions and garlic.

Then I put the sauce together - chicken broth, soy sauce, oyster-flavored sauce & cornstartch.
Then I started the water for the noodles.  While that came to a boil I cooked everything else. 

Mushrooms first, then the cabbage & red peppers.  Finally the scallions and the garlic.  I was supposed to put in some ginger but I don't like it, so I left it out. 
 Once all the veggies we cooked I added in the sauce and let it simmer for a bit.  The final step was to add the noodles.  I decided to throw in some chicken I had leftover so it was a bit heartier.
 The last step was to add in a bit more seasoning - cilantro, toasted sesame oil and sriracha sauce.  I only added the sriracha sauce.  Even though it was really, really hot on it's own I decided to try it. 
I liked the dish.  I wish I'd had the spaghetti noodles.  I think they would have absorbed the sauce better.  But the egg noodles were more aligned with the size of the veggies so it was actually easier to eat.  I didn't pick up a lot of heat from the sriracha but I think that may be because I didn't mix it in very well.  I'm probably going to come across one or two bites that blow my mouth apart, with my luck. 

Check out Talesha's blog for the complete recipe. 




1 comment:

  1. I hope you didn't blow your mouth apart. :) We liked this a lot. It sounds like we were on the same page with thinking we had things and finding we didn't. It seemed a versatile enough recipe that it didn't matter, luckily.

    ReplyDelete