Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Table Talk - Chocolate Chip Cookies


This week for Table Talk we baked.  My favorite!!  You can't beat chocolate chip cookies but this was an awfully involved recipe, especially for one that only produces 18 cookies.  If I made this again I would double it.  Why go to all this work for so few cookies.
 
It starts out like a typical cookie recipe, mix the dry ingredients and mix the wet.  But before you mix the wet ingredients you brown some of the butter.  That's supposed to enhance the flavor but I didn't really notice a difference. 
 
But the most annoying thing was I burned the butter the first time around.  I got the butter perfectly brown and nutty smelling.  I turned off the heat and snapped a picture. 
But in that time the heat of the pan was enough that it went completely black!  It literally happened right before my eyes. 

I dumped the whole thing out and started over.  This time I didn't take a picture until it was in the bowl.  :-)
Then next weird thing was the recipe had me cream the sugar into the melted butter.  Once it was fully incorporated I had to let it "rest" for 3 minutes.  Then I repeated that two more times.  It was supposed to make it thick... I didn't notice.

The rest of the recipe was pretty straight forward, mix in dry with the wet, mix in the chocolate chips, until the last step.  Once I formed the balls of dough for the cookie I took the last of the chocolate chips and pressed a few into each of the cookies, so you could see lots of chocolate chips in every cookie. 

I took a picture before I did that...
And one after...
You can see a difference but probably not something I would bother doing again. 

All these extra steps are because these are "healthy" chocolate chip cookies.  They were trying to maximize the flavor while minimizing the calories.  They didn't do too bad... each cookie is only 120 calories with 5 grams of fat.  But personally I'd rather just make Tollhouse next time.  :-)

For the full recipe check out Valerie's blog. 



2 comments:

  1. I agree...a lot of work for so few cookies! I doubled it and it was way worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it was weird to whisk the mixture 3 times. I didn't really see a difference.

    ReplyDelete