Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Table Talk: Buffalo Chicken Salad


So I wasn't too excited about this pick.  I don't like Buffalo Wings or Blue Cheese.  But my husband loves Buffalo Wings so I thought I'd modify this a bit and see if I could make something he would like.  I didn't work and I ended up with something that wasn't anything like the recipe...Oh, well.

First step was to whisk together hot sauce, butter and molasses. 
I didn't want to use up all my tobasco sauce on something that I may or may not like so I decided to use Siracha sauce instead.  I don't like molasses and knew I wouldn't use it if I bought it (other than for this recipe) so I substituted honey.  The first batch I made with 1/4 cup siracha sauce, 1 tbls butter and 1 tbls honey.  It was so hot I couldn't taste anything other than heat and it burned!!!  Jonathan couldn't even eat it and he likes hot stuff.  So I dumped that out and made a second batch with one part siracha, one part honey and one part butter.  That was edible at least.  I could taste a flavor and I liked it but it was still too hot.  Jonathan tasted it and said it needed a teaspoon of strawberry jam.  :-)  So I mixed one in for him.  It didn't change the flavor to me at all.  The siracha sauce was still the dominant flavor. 

Next I moved on to the chicken.  I flattened it out a bit before drying it off.
Then I seasoned it and coated it in the corn meal/corn starch mixture.  After letting the oil heat for a bit I started cooking.
Six minutes later I flipped it over.
About 5 or 6 more minutes it was done.  At this point I was supposed to make a salad toss it in Blue Cheese dressing, toss the chicken in the hot sauce mixture and top the salad with the chicken.  Instead I drizzled the hot sauce over the chicken and served it with rice. 
Jonathan didn't like the sauce.  But I was smart and didn't drizzle any over his chicken so he was still happy with his meal of chicken and rice. 

If you want to see the whole recipe and how it's really supposed to be made check out Michelle's blog. 



1 comment: