Sunday, June 10, 2012

Blender Ice Cream

So I bought this fancy blender a few weeks ago - a Vitamix, professional series. It was expensive ($500) but part of what sold me on it is it's supposed to replace a juicer, ice cream maker, food processor and your blender. So this weekend I used it to make chocolate ice cream.

The ingredients are simple: whole milk, sugar, chocolate milk mix (Quik), non-fat milk powder, vanilla & ice.



Funny story about the mix in the blender in the picture above. I measured out all the ingredients and added them to my mixer in order as the recipe said. Then I put it on the blender and got it started... I used the accelerator to push the ingredients down but it didn't seem right. There wasn't anything to push really, there was so little of the ingredients. Plus it never seemed to be getting any thicker or do any of the other things the recipe said. So I looked at the recipe again and realized that I had mis-read it. It called for 4 cups of ice not 4 ice cubes! Funny. So I had to start over.

Once I had the right amount of ice it took about 60 seconds for the blender to grind down the ice and turn the whole thing into Ice Cream!



It made about 5 cups and it was a bit icy but for less than 3 minutes of work it was pretty tasty!



Jonathan and I were good and didn't eat it all that night. So I froze the leftover and we had that tonight. It was still icy rather than creamy and now the chocolate flavor was off. It's probably because I didn't realize it but my Quik was low sugar. I'd think you could make it creamier by using more of the milk powder and the chocolate flavor would be better if you made your own chocolate mix with dutch processed cocoa and sugar. Maybe I'll have to experiment a bit. If only it was good for me or zero calories. Since it's not I'll probably not make it again. I like to spend my sweet calorie allotment on new sweets. :)

1 comment:

  1. I have some recipes that use bananas to make ice cream. There is even one that is banana and avocado ice cream. It is supposed to be really goo. Let me know if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete