Sunday, June 10, 2012

Turkey Breast

So last week our chest freezer died. I figured it out on the way out the door to work so I called Jonathan and asked him to check it out. For some reason the freezer wouldn't get any colder than about 34. So Jonathan did a bunch of reorganizing and managed to get nearly all the food either in the freezer in the house or in his little frig/freezer that can run off the car batter. But a few things he had to leave in the chest freezer. Mostly it was just nuts and some blueberries that I was trying to freeze but one thing was the turkey breast I had just bought. It had totally thawed and I was worried if it would last until we replaced the freezer. We found one this weekend and it's supposed to be delivered on Wednesday. Anyway, I was stressed about the turkey breast getting ruined. So for dinner on Saturday I decided to cook it.

It turned out so well I had to blog about it so I know how to make it again.



I used the convection setting on my oven and set it at 300 F. I cooked it for an hour on a rack in a cookie sheet (I really need to get a broiler pan!) and then basted it in the mix below (half of it). After 30 minutes I dumped the rest of the mix on it. It took another 20 minutes to get to almost 160 F. It's supposed to cook until 165 but I knew it would keep climbing while it rested. It was a 9 lb breast and I let it rest for over a half hour. I was in the middle of making the dough for some bread, so I wasn't ready to finish dinner.

It was so juicy and flavorful! A real success...

Basting Liquid:

1/2 cup melted butter
1-1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! That will make some great turkey sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete