Sunday, September 2, 2012

No Bake Cookies

Since I "ruined" Jonathan's favorite cookie I felt I really ought to make the original for him.  Plus I was really curious about the difference.  The recipe I have for no-bakes I got from my sister-in-law, Ali.

Bring 2 cups sugar, 1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup milk and 1/4 cup cocoa to a boil.  Then add 1/2 cup peanut butter, 3 cups oatmeal and 1 tsp vanilla.  Then drop by rounded teaspoon full on wax paper and allow to cool. 

It didn't say how long to boil and I wasn't sure if I should leave it on the heat when I added the peanut butter and other stuff.  But since I was trying to compare these to the batch just before I took them off the heat as soon as it came to a boil.  In retrospect if I really wanted a fair comparison I should have let it boil for 1 minute, then take it off the heat and add peanut butter, oats and vanilla... 
Last night they wouldn't set up.  They were chewy, not fudgy.  I think it's because I didn't let it boil long enough. 

This morning they were less wet... but still chewy and not perfectly fudgy like the previous batch. 


Luckily Jonathan still liked them and plans to eat them all...  Maybe I should take some of these to work too  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment