Sunday, September 2, 2012

Butterscotch Bars

This weekend Jonathan had to drive to Bear River (valley?) city to buy a set of pipes for his motorcycle... one of his fell off. Can you believe his luck?!! Anyway Bear Whatever City is 2-1/2 hours from our place so I had basically the whole day to myself. I spent most of it reading but I did do a bit of cooking/baking as well. I started with this recipe (you'll have to scroll down quite a bit to find it). I halved the recipe.



Part of why I wanted to try it is because I couldn't match the picture to the description.  I wanted to see how the chips ended up sinking beneathe the dough, well they don't.  But I'm getting ahead of myself...

The dough was really buttery - 1 part butter to 2 parts flour! and easy to whip up.  The hard part was getting half of it to cover the bottom of a 9x13" pan...
But after lots of pressing (with my fingers and the bottom of a measuring cup) I got it.

While it baked for a short 7 minutes I melted (or tried to) the chips (white & milk chocolate & butterscotch) in the sweetened condensed milk.  It came to a boil and I still had little chunks in there...

I think it was the white chocolate...But since the timer went off on the crust I didn't fuss with it too much...

Doesn't look any different than when it went it, does it?  I didn't worry and just dumped the milk and chip mixture over the top, still with small unmelted chunks I saw as it poured out...

Oh, well...  At this point the recipe said to put on the remaining dough in pieces, but actually I should have sprinkled the chips over the top (which you can see from the picture on the original blog post).  But I followed the recipe...

And then added the chips...

It still tasted good, but a key part to the tasty flavor is the chips.  With them on top they tend to fall off as soon as you take a bite. 
I'm going to have to make this again, because even with the chips falling off it's still really tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment