Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cake Batter Rice Crispie Treats

I made a mistake and didn't have enough cream cheese to make my bake 52 recipe so I decided to make something else. I let Jonathan pick from three recipes that I knew I had all the ingredients for... it was no surprise to me that he picked Cake Batter Rice Crispie Treats.  He loves cake batter ice cream and I actually saved this recipe because I thought he'd like it.  But I knew I'd have to leave off the white chocolate for there to be any chance of him even trying them. 

They are basically just rice crispie treat with cake mix in them.  At least that's how they ended up because I forgot the vanilla.  Also, I had a pound of marshmallows so I decided to increase the amount of cake mix I used by 50% and use all the marshmallows.  But I didn't change the amount of rice crispies.  I often use a full pound of marshamallows for regular rice crispies because it makes them much chewier and you don't end up breaking a tooth trying to have one a day or so later. 

I measured out the cake batter and it ended up being almost the whole mix so I just used the whole mix.  I also measured out the rice crispies before I got started so I could just dumpt them in as soon as I was ready for them. 

I also like to let the butter melt a bit before I add the marshmallows.  It seems to make the marshmallow mix come out of the pot cleaner.  Once the marshmallows and butter were all melted I dumped in the cake mix.  I mixed it in really well and then...  Well, you may have noticed there are no pictures on this post, so far... That's because...



Yeah... I dropped my phone in the pot while I was trying to take a picture.  After saying a bad word (well, more of a phase) Jonathan said, "what happened?!"  I hesitated for a second before pulling it out with my fingers because I was worried I'd burn myself.  But luckily I didn't.  About the time I got it out Jonathan had made it to the kitchen.  I said, "well take a picture!"  :-) 

After about 10-15 minutes of scraping the marshmallow off with a butter knife, using toothpicks to get the charging port and speakers cleared out and then clorax wipes to get rid of the last of the stickiness, it looked like I'd gotten it all off.  I had turned it off before I even started cleaning, on Jonathan's advise.  So once it was as clean as I thought I could get it I turned it back on. 

Meanwhile I dumped in the rice crispies, mixed and then dumped the whole thing into a 13x9" pan.  The rice crispies do taste like cake batter... I think I would have liked them a lot better with the white chocolate.  Jonathan thought they were okay...  So all in all I probably wouldn't recommend them.  Especially if they are going to cost you a phone!

Luckily my phone wasn't ruined.  The phone itself seems to work just fine.  I was able to charge it with my wall charger, but when I started to write this post I pluged in my phone and... nothing.  The connection doesn't work so my computer doesn't recognize that anything in plugged.  So I couldn't get the few pictures off the phone that I took before I dropped it. 

Oh, well.  Considering how bad it could be this is just an annoyance.  I guess I'll have to figure out when my contract ends so I can get a new one, but I'm sure I've got to wait until at least March since I just got it in March of this year.  I guess there are worst things that can happen then a defected iPhone.

2 comments:

  1. I have heard putting your phone in rice when you drop it on water, but I am at a loss of what to do if you drop it in goo. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use dropbox? I downloaded a dropbox app on my phone (after already having it on my computer) and now all the pictures I take automatically get uploaded to dropbox so they are on my computer and in my dropbox acct online. It's pretty sweet. They have to have it for iPhone if they have it for droid, right? Anyway maybe that will help until you can get a new one.

    ReplyDelete