Sunday, November 18, 2012

World's Best Chocolate Cake

This is my last dessert for the weekend (unless I get too bored in the three hours before bedtime)... chocolate cake with chocolate chips!  The recipe has oatmeal in it.  I wasn't too sure of that but the rest looked so tasty and the recipe said you couldn't taste the oatmeal.  I figured it was worth a try.

The recipe is pretty straight forward...  Cream the butter with the sugars.


Then I added the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa. 

It didn't look very much like chocolate cake at this point...  But I continued.  I added the quick oats to the boiling water, let it sit for a minute and then mixed them in.

Now it looks chocolately!  I mixed in half a bag of chocolate chips and spread it in the cake pan.  The last step was to top the cake with chocolate chips.

Now into the oven!


Thirty minutes later it's done.  Now the hard part... waiting to frost it. 

After it had sat out for a few hours I got started on the frosting.  This was really easy too.  It starts with milk, butter and sugar. 

Once the butter had melted and I boiled the mixture for 30 seconds I added the marshmallows and chocolate chips and mixed those to melt them.

It didn't look quite chocolately enough so I figured that some of the chocolate hadn't completely melted.  But after stirring for what seemed like a long time I just dumped it out on the cake.

Sure enough there were little chunks left... oh, well.  I let the frosting set up for about five minutes before cutting a piece for me and Jonathan.

Jonathan didn't like it.  He doesn't like marshmallow so he didn't like the frosting and while you couldn't taste the oatmeal it did change the texture a bit.  It gave the cake a bit of a chewy consistency.  The chocolate chips gave the cake little pockets of chocolately goodness. 
I managed to stop after my piece and finishing Jonathan's...  I'd recomend this cake unless you have issues with different consistency.  I loved the flavor, especially the frosting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment