Thursday, March 21, 2013

Reese's Minis Peanut Butter Bars

So it wasn't until after I made these that I realized these are the second peanut butter bars I made in one weekend.  I must have a real peanut butter fetish this spring...

This recipe starts with peanut butter, butter and sugar - good start!


Next I added in the eggs, salt and vanilla
I used 1/3 a teaspoon of salt for the 1/4 teaspoon plus a big pinch. 
I have this set of measuring spoons that has everything from 2 tablespoons down to 1/8 teaspoon.  I love it!

Next step flour - just enough to stiffen up the dough.

Next the goodies...

I was sure I had peanuts.  We buy big containers of them from Costco for Jonathan to snack on and I had just seen a container.  But when I went to get them I couldn't find them anywhere!  Jonathan must have taken them with him on his trip to Utah for snacking.  So I used peanut butter chips instead.  Three kinds of chips - white chocolate, dark chocolate and peanut butter!

I mixed that all by hand and then pressed the dough into a 13x9" pan.
 


In to the oven... 

My grocery store was all out of mini Reese's peanut butter cups, of all the luck!  So I bought Reese's miniature peanut butter cups.  So unwrapped a bunch (probably a dozen or so) quartered them so I got a cup. 


As soon as the bars came out of the oven I spread the quartered Reese's miniatures across the top and then added the Reese's Pieces.

 
Of the two peanut butter recipes I made I think it I like this one best.  This latest one is a lot like a peanut butter blondie.  Also, if I made it again I think I'd put the Reese's pieces on for the last few minutes of baking, so that they melted a little and stuck to the top.  The miniatures melted just a bit and stuck nicely.  But the pieces just fall off as soon as you pick up a piece. 
 
If you cut the bars into 31 pieces the calories aren't too bad...
 


No comments:

Post a Comment