Friday, March 1, 2013

Baked Zucchini & Tomato Casserole

In my continue search for a yummy veggie side dish I gave this casserole a try.  I have to say it was a bit of a disappointment.  The seasoning isn't quite right... I don't know what I'd change but I don't like the seasoning.  It doesn't compliment the veggies like I thought it should.  Oh, well.  It's still edible and gets me to eat my veggies!

It was pretty easy...  I started by blending the spice mixture - garlic powder, basil, oregano, pepper & salt. 

 Then I started cutting up the zucchini and tomatoes.  I had a really hard time getting a uniform thickness on the zucchini.  My mandonlin cut it too thin and I don't have the knife skills to do it well without a tool.  But in the final dish it didn't matter.  It cooks long enough that even the thickest pieces were tender.  I laid in the zucchini and sprinkled some of the spice mixture over that first layer.
Then I layered in tomatoes. 
I repeated those steps until I'd used up all the zucchini and tomatoes.  I mixed the breadcrumbs and the parmesan cheese.
Then I spread that over the veggies.
I covered it with foil and baked it for 25 minutes.
It looks tasty... too bad the flavors not quite right.  The recipe on line said that one serving was 112 calories (with six servings total) but my calorie work out didn't match that...  Maybe I used really calorie dense bread crumbs?

No comments:

Post a Comment