Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Table Talk: Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausage



 This week it was Talesha's turn to pick.  I never would have made this recipe if it weren't for this group and I really, really liked it!  That's the best part of the baking group, unexpected finds!

I figured making sausage would be hard.  But it wasn't really.  I thought it was odd that the recipe called for cooking part of the sausage first...
I used my favorite cast iron skillet instead of a non-stick pan to cook u pthe 1/4 pound of turkey.
It browned up nicely.
Once it was done I got started on the rest of the recipe.  It called for fresh or dried sage. 
I had rubbed sage... I don't know if that is the same as dried sage but I used it like it was.  The recipe also calls for buttermilk.
I used powdered buttermilk.  I mixed it up so it could be used to soak the bread...
I let the bread soak while I got the rest of the ingredients together. 
The rest of the turkey (3/4 of a pound), sage, maple syrup (I used the fake Mrs. Buttersworth), garlic, salt, pepper and thyme.  Then I dumped in the soaked bread, the cooked sausage and got to work mixing and shaping my sausages.

I ended up with 18 instead of 16.  They weren't very dense either, not like traditional link sausage.
I cooked them up in two batches.  They cooked up quick (about 10 minutes).

I forgot to take any pictures of them other than the first piece that came out... Oh, well.
The flavor was really good!  I was surprised by how much I liked it.  Jonathan even liked them.  The book says that they are only 110 calories for two links.  I did the nutrition information for the whole recipe based on 8 servings (2 links if I had ended up with 16 total) and got something a bit higher.

 Either way they are pretty low calorie sausages.  But they taste just as good (if not better) than traditional pork sausage.  I'd really recomend these. 

For the full recipe check out Talesha's blog



5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like this recipe! Your pictures are great, I forgot to take a lot of pictures for my post, maybe I will refer to your blog to see more pictures:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did forget the most important one - the finished product. :-)

      Delete
  2. They look great! What is the secret to making the links work? Help a girl out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed the the links were very loose/soft. I used a cast iron pan and a metal spatula. That helped be get a good edge to loosen them as they cooked. Then I just cooked them low and slow and rotated them pretty frequently. Basically I just tried to be really careful...

      Delete
  3. Your turkey looks a lot more red than what was in the tube. Maybe the tube turkey really was the problem.
    thanks,Julia

    ReplyDelete