Friday, February 8, 2013

Crock-pot Breakfast Casserole

I changed this recipe up a bit...  My goal was to increase the veggie content.  I could have done a lot more... It's not very veggie intensive.  :-)

I used two cans of diced tomatoes instead of one fresh tomato, I added in some frozen peppers in (one yellow, one red and a onion.  I also used a half pound of bulk turkey sausage instead of 12 - 15 sausage links. 
 I cooked up the sausage with the onion (diced) and the pepers (which I also diced, once they thawed a little in the pan. 
 Once the sausage was done I added in the tomates, which I had drained. 

Then I added in the hashbrowns.  

 I could only find a 1.5 pound bag, so I just used that since I was adding in extra vegatables. 

I mixed that all up in my skillet.  I used my little magic bullet to mix the eggs and the milk.  Then I dumped about half the egg mix in the bottom of my crock pot.  Then I dumped in all the veggies and the cheese, stirred that up...

Then I dumped the rest of the egg mix on top.  I cooked it for 5 hours.  After about four hours it wasn't jiggly any more but sine it was supposed to cook for 6 - 8 hours I let it go another hour. 

Since I didn't want to store my whole crockpot in the frig for the next two weeks I divided it all up into 12 plastic containers.
It's not very cheesy... I probably could have left that out and not noticed.  I don't particularly like the turkey sausage.  My preferred bulk sausage is Maple flavored pork sausage, but the grocery store didn't have that.  So I thought I'd try turkey... next time I just get regular pork sausage.  The main flavor is the hashbrowns.  If/when I make this again I'll decrease the potatoes and up the veggie content...  Even as I made it - the flavor is good and it's got a reasonable amount of veggies in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment