Monday, February 11, 2013

Cheesy Vegetable Bake

This is another vegetarian dish.  It is also from Averie's blog.  I really like the recipe because a lot of times I'll have random left over veggies from various dishes I've made or recipes I haven't made but intended to...  So I'd call this more of a method than a recipe. 

I used potatoes, shredded carrots, a can of beans, some frozen broccoli, cauliflower and cream of celery soup - and some lemon pepper Mrs. Dash.  The method is to layer all the veggies putting the ones that take the longest to cook on the bottom adding them in order of cooking time. 

So I started with the potatoes.

Then I added the carrots
Then the broccoli and cauliflower.
Then the beans
I mixed the cream of celery with the water and spread that over the other layers.  The cream of celery was my one mistake.  I had a random can which I knew I was never going to use.  I don't even like celery but I figured it would be ok in this recipe.  It's still edible but not very good.  I'll have to make it again with a soup I actually like.

After the soup/water mix.  I topped it with the Mrs. Dash.
Then I put it in the oven for 35 minutes.  At that point I topped it with cheese and put it back in the oven.
After another 25 minutes it was done.
I got about 9 large servings out of this, or about a cup.
It's actually pretty good.  The cream of celery just makes it a little off.  I don't know what I was thinking... but it would have been really good if I'd used cream of chicken or some other soup that I liked.  Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment