Thursday, February 21, 2013

Spinach, Mushroom & Hash Brown Casserole

I changed the name of this recipe because I changed up the ratios quite a bit.  So the eggs and hash browns aren't the dominate flavors any more.  Plus since I'm not a huge fan of spicy food I toned down the spiciness quite a bit too.  Also, I doubled this recipe to get 8 servings...  It turned out really well!

I started with eggs - 6.
I mixed them up right in the dish I was baking it in (9x13").  Then I just dumped in the rest of the ingredients (except the cheese).
The spinach and the hash browns were still frozen.  I did a full bag of spinach (6 cups) but only 3 cups of hash browns.  Then I added 8 oz of sliced mushrooms (baby bellas).  This next part was the hardest part... mixing it evenly.
About five minutes later it still wasn't very well mixed.
After about ten minutes (or more) I decided it was mixed well enough.  I splashed a couple of drops of hot sauce on it, but it's barely noticable.  Then I topped it with 1 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
I covered it with aluminum foil and put it in the oven for 25 minutes.  Then I pulled the foil off and cooked it another 20 minutes or so. 
I let it cool for a bit and then split it into servings and stored it in plastic containers for eating later in the week.
I've had it a couple of times now for breakfast.  It reheats really well.  I was worried about the huge clumps of frozen spinach.  I really didn't want big bites of just spinach.  But once it was reheated I just mixed it up a bit and got an nice blend of hash browns and mushrooms.  The spinach and mushrooms really go well together.  The hash browns cooked up nicely as well.  The eggs are pretty unnoticable... I think it just gave it something to hold things together.

No comments:

Post a Comment