Sunday, February 10, 2013

Vegetable Lasagna Casserole

I really like to make vegetarian dishes... I'm always trying to get more vegetables into my diet but I really like one dish meals.  Too many one dish meals are heavy on meat and pasta with not much in the way of vegetables. 

I found this recipe on Averie Cooks blog.  While I love pasta it's really calorie dense with not a lot of nutrients.  So I wanted to see what this would taste like.

The recipe starts with a carrot/zucchini crust.  I bought pre-shredded carrots because I'm just lazy like that.  :-)

I mixed the zucchini and carrots with one egg and some salt and pepper.  Then I pressed it into the bottom of a 9x9" pan.  I didn't use aluminum foil because I had more trouble with aluminum foil in my food that getting the food out of the pan. 
I baked that for about 25 minutes until it was a bit brown and not wet.
The rest of the dish is sour cream, cheese and salsa.
I didn't use Quinoa... that just happened to be out on the counter... I guess I should pay attention to what's in the background of my pictures.  I wanted a really chunky salsa but the only one I could find was medium.  The dish is a little bit hot for me but it would have been perfect if I'd found mild salsa.
I layered sour cream, then the salsa and topped it off with cheese.  I cooked it for another 35 minutes.
Looks yummy!  I let it sit overnight before I had any.
The pieces didn't come out very pretty.  And once it was reheated it didn't look particularly appetizing at all.
But it's tasty.  The recipe says it's yields 9 - 12 hearty servings.  I would say it's more like 6...  It's not very filling but I was surprised at how low the calories are for being half "fat" (if you call cheese and sour cream fat). 

No comments:

Post a Comment