Saturday, February 23, 2013

Vampire Chicken

I've had this recipe forever...  It's a big favorite in our family.  The name is actually Midwinter BBQ Chicken, but I can't get my family to call it that.  The first couple of times I made this they kept calling it Blood Chicken.  Yuck!!  Vampire chicken is a compromise...  I much prefer Midwinter BBQ but...

This is a really easy recipe and can be easily doubled, tripled, whatever you need.  The recipe below works well with a 9x9" pan.  You can put as much chicken in the bottom of the pan as you can fit.  You might have to increase the cooking time if the chicken is too squished in there.  Doubling the recipe works well with a 13x9" pan. 

Start with the sauce... 3/4 cup salsa, 3/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup brown sugar & 1 Tbls Worchestershire Sauce (or as my father-in-law would say, "What's this here sauce?").
I use my magic bullet to mix it all up, nice and quick.  Plus it gets rid of some of the "chunks" in the salsa which Jonathan doesn't like.  Then I cut up the chicken in smaller pieces and put it in the bottom of the pan.
This pictures is actually of pork (shh... don't tell Jonathan).  I was out of chicken but had pork.  I have to say while it worked just fine with pork, it's much better with chicken.  Then I just dump the sauce over the meat.
I just try and make sure the meats all covered with sauce.  Then into the oven it goes for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
All done!  Cooking it this way ensures that the chicken is always moist and tasty.  My favorite way to eat it is with baked potato with sour cream and the red sauce all mixed together with the meat cut up in bite size pieces. 
May not look very appetizing but I love it.  The red sauce and sour cream really go well together.  Jonathan doesn't particularly like the sauce so he just pulls it out and tries to leave the sauce behind.
The calorie details below is based on 5 oz of chicken and about 1/4 of the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment