Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Table Talk - Sauteed Boneless Pork Chops with quick Chutney

This is our latest recipe from the America's Test Kitchen Healthy Cookbook.  I like pork but I wasn't too sure about the chutney...I decided to half this recipe, since I was sure Jonathan wouldn't be interested in eating any of the chutney. 

I went ahead an brined the pork for 30 minutes in the salt and sugar solution (which I halved). 

I didn't really notice any difference and with the chutney that tends to be the dominate flavor anyway so I'd skip this step next time, if there is a next time.

 After soaking for 30 minutes I dried off the pork and seasoned it with salt and pepper.  I'm surprise the recipe said to season it after brining it.  Seems redundant...
Next I cooked the pork in a little oil.  The picture below is after 3 minutes and flipping the meat.
 After 5 minutes on the second side I pulled all the pork out and tented it.
I turned of the stove while I prepared the chutney.

Step one - peel & dice the apples and mince the onion. 
 I dumped that into the pot, covered it, cooked for about 8 minutes to soften the apples and onions.  While that cooked I got the rest of the ingredients ready. 
 I really, really don't like ginger so I left that out.  I remembered to half all the ingredients except the apple juice ( I didn't have cider), so my chutney stayed pretty running even after letting it cook down quite a bit. 
 The taste was better than I was expecting!  I've always liked applesauce with pork.  But I think the recipe gives you a lot more chutney than you'd really want or need.  Instead of complimenting the pork you pretty  much lose the flavor of the pork.  All you taste is the chutney.  Other than the texture of the pork I don't even notice it. 
 Also, if I make this again I'll leave out the cayenne pepper.  That just gives it some heat that hits at the end of the bite.  Since I'm not much for spicy heat it doesn't add anything to the recipe to me. 

Overall, if you like pork and you are looking for something that's quick and easy to go with it, I'd recommend this recipe. 

For the full recipe check out Michelle's blog. 



2 comments:

  1. I sometimes think recipes go overboard. Sometimes sweet and simple is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like we had plenty of chutney too! And I didn't have cayenne pepper so I left it out, glad it didn't seem necessary!

    ReplyDelete