Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Bake 52 Week 50 Glazed Chocolate Cream Roll

 
I've never made a roll cake before... this was surprisingly easy.  I prepped the ingredients.
I was careful to grease the parchment paper but I was missing one corner - it torn unevenly... the cake did stick there a bit.  But otherwise the cake came out easily.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I had left the eggs out all day to come to room temperature.  It wasn't supposed to be all day but we lost power for several hours before church so I wasn't able to make this until after church (when luckily our power was back on).  But I heard from Alton Brown that warm eggs are more elastic so they whip up better.

Here's the egg mixture at the start of mixing it.
Here it is when I decided it was whipped enough.
Fluffy!  I sifted the dry ingredients in...
Then I folded them in.  It took a surprising amount of time to get the dry ingredients fully incorporated just using the folding technique.  Then I spread it in the prepared pan...
Into the oven.  While the cake cooked (which only took about 15 minutes) I got started on the filling. 
The filling has 1-1/4 cups (almost a full 7 oz jar) marshmallow fluff... I hate working with marshmallow fluff... it ends up on everything and I can never seem to get it out of the measuring cup.  This time I decided this time I'd get smart.  I used my handy plunger measuring cup and sprayed it with no-stick first. 
Then I loaded it up with marshmallow.  After I'd whipped up the butter and sugar I dumped in the marshmallow.
Amazingly the marshmallow fluff came right out!
Look at how well that worked...  The filling whipped up really well, but really thick.  It also was a bit grainy in texture, although very tasty!

Once the cake was done I was able to get it out of the pan very easily - once I was able to get ahold of the hot pan with the thick hot pads!
I wrapped it up parchment paper as directed and let it sit for 15 minutes.  I think I over cooked the cake because it cracked a bit when I rolled it. 
After letting it sit for 15 minutes I unrolled it and started (trying) to spread the filling.  Jonathan heard my sounds of frustration because the cake kept moving and came over to see if he could help.  He was a huge help.  Between the two of us we finally got it all spread out and covering (most) of the cake.  It was really thick!

I rolled it back up (with out the parchment paper).  I could really see that it was a bit over done at that point. 
 
I was supposed to let it sit for 30 minutes before glazing it but I didn't.   I got started on the glaze (which was rediculously easy) right away and as soon as it was done I dumped it all over the top of my roll.

There was more than enough glaze to cover any inperfections in the cake!  I didn't even wait for the glaze to set before I cut myself a piece.

Jonathan was reminising about how much this reminded him of the ice cream cake his mom usually makes at Christmas time.  But since there was marshmallow in this one he wouldn't try it.  Oh, well... His loss!
If you want to give this a try check out Michelle's blog for the full recipe.

PS Sorry all my pictures are yellow tinge... I guess that's what happens when your flash on your iPhone goes off!



3 comments:

  1. Looks good. I was surprised how easy of a cake this was. I will have to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out great - looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I think it's funny that he hates marshmallows. I don't know if I have ever heard of that before. And two of your last three post have had marshmallows. :)

    ReplyDelete