Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Homemade Twix

This recipe came from bunsinmyoven.  I really like Twix so when I saw that Karly called these a grownup twix bar I knew I had to try them.  The shortbread isn't quite right in terms of matching a Twix, not sweet enough or crisp enough.  But still very tasty.  The shortbread is just butter, flour and a little bit of sugar.  I thought about increasing the amount of sugar because I often find shortbread too bland but I figured with the caramel and chocolate on top I wouldn't need it. 

I mixed it up in my stand mixer...
Then pressed it into an 8x8" pan. 
It went into the oven for 20 minutes.  While it baked I got the ingredients together for the caramel. 
I held off starting the caramel until the crust was almost done because I needed pour over the crust as soon as the caramel was done.  I had just started melting the butter when the crust was done.
I let it boil for 5 minutes, stirring all the time - except when I took this picture  :-)
Then I moved it off the heat and mixed it vigorously for three minutes.  Doesn't that look yummy?!
I poured it over the shortbread and moved on to the chocolate layer. 
The recipe calls for fleur de sel... it's  a special kind of salt.  But I decided to just use kosher (coarse) salt.  I don't know if it made any difference to the recipe but it didn't hurt it. 

After sprinkling the chocolate chips on the top, putting it back in the oven for a minute I smoothed them out...done!
I stuck it in the frig to set up.. look at those layers.  Looks so yummy!
After it had set up in the frig for a while I pulled it out to cut it into pieces and had a taste.
It was very good.  I packed up most of them to give away for Christmas.  I would have happily eaten them all myself.  I really liked the caramel layer. 
If you like Twix, caramel or just a good dessert I'd recommend these.

1 comment: