Saturday, December 1, 2012

Chocolate Saltine Toffee

My sister made these last year and brought them up snowmobiling.  When I found the recipe at Averie Cooks I decided I had to make them.  I bought saltines weeks ago.  They have been sitting in my food storage, which is in the same room I work out it.  So every morning when I saw the saltines I'd think, "I really need to make those!"  I finally got around to it today. 

It's a really easy recipe.  I followed Averie's advice and covered my pan with foil and non-stick spray.
Then I arranged the saltines.  My package of saltines had a lot of broken ones, so I ended up going through almost a full tube even though I only used 24.

The longest step was melting/boiling the butter and brown sugar. 
Not exactly low fat with two sticks of butter! 

I actually had a bit of trouble covering all the saltines with the caramel/toffee.  I used the spatula to spread it out but I still had some crackers showing through. 

After a few minutes (7) in the oven to get the toffee hard

Then I let it sit for 4 minutes before sprinkling chocolate chips over the top.

Four minutes later it was ready to spread.

Yum!  I threw it in the freezer to harden faster so I could have some!

Still not as good as real English toffee but for less than 30 minutes of work pretty tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment