Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies

You can find the recipe for these cookies at favfamilyrecipes.com.  Jonathan couldn't resist trying some of the dough and it reminded him strongly of Gee's Chocolate cookies.  So he dug out that old recipe and compared them... they are very similar! 
This is basically a one bowl recipe.  But I really should have used my stand mixer - like you should for any cookie recipe. 
It took a lot of upper arm body strenght to mix in the dry ingredients.  I nearly broke my wooden spoon doing it!
When it came time to add the milk I figured I'd better break out the hand mixer.  But as you can see below, this dough was too much for it.
I finally got it all mixed together (and off the beaters).

The recipe says to roll 1 teaspoon of dough to make each cookie.  I made mine bigger than a teaspoon!  I would have been rolling and baking all day to cook up that dough if I just used a teaspoon.  I used an ice cream scoop, which is probably about a tablespoon or maybe two.  That worked well. 
Straight out of the oven I added the marshmallows (four for each cookie) and put them back in the oven for a minute or so.  I have no idea how you'd get 4 marshmallows on a teaspoon size cookie.

Once I was into the swing of things on the baking side I got the icing going.  It's a simple buttercream chocolate frosting. 
The hand mixer works much better on icing.
I loaded the icing into a zip top bag and drizzled it over the cookies as they came out of the oven.  
 




Even after several days these cookies were still soft and yummy.  If you're like Jonathan and don't like marshmallows, just leave them off.  They are very good chocolate cookies and the glaze is delish.  But overall the very best way to eat them is when they are still warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment