Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Bake 52 Week 51 - Chocolate Chip Biscotti

It's our penultimate week - wow!  It sure has been fun trying all these different dishes.  I think I'll have to spend some time next year picking up the first half of the year...

 
This week we made Biscotti. The recipe pick was actually Almond Biscotti but when I saw the Chocolate chip option... I knew what I would be making.

It was a pretty straight forward recipe.  I mixed the dry ingredients with a fork and set aside.

Then I beat the butter and sugar together in my stand mixer.  I beat it for over three minutes but it didn't seem to be getting light and fluffy so I just moved on. 
Next I added the eggs and vanilla.  Since I was making chocolate chip I left out the almond extract. 
Once it was all blended I added the dry ingredients.  I blended them in and the final step was to add the chocolate chips (3/4 cup). 
I used mini chocolate chips because I had them and because I thought that they would be better with the biscotti, more evenly distributed and wouldn't lead to the biscotti falling apart at the chips.   
I dumped about half the dough on my prepared pan and tried to shape it into a 13 x 2" loaf.  It was really sticky!  The loaves were exactly even but I figured they were good enough.
I baked them for about 30 minutes.  They looked brown and they were certainly starting to crack on the top so out they came...
After letting the loaves sit for 10 minutes I cut them up. 
Then arranged them on the baking sheet again.  About 7 minutes more baking on each side and they were done. 
I tried one after they had cooled and it was biscotti... crisp, dry, mildly sweet.  Just okay, nothing great...

But the next morning I made myself some hot chocolate.  Biscotti is really designed to be dunked in a hot drink.  They are really just too dry to not have with a drink. 
I dunked a piece in the hot chocolate.   
Now that is the way to eat it!!  It was so yummy all soaked in hot chocolate.  The chocolate chips plus the cookie soaked in hot chocolate was divine!  I ended up having 3 or 4 pieces, it was so good with the hot chocolate.  If you are a hot chocolate drinker and like chocolate I'd really recommend making a batch of these cookies to have with your next cup.  Check out Emily's blog for the full recipe.  



1 comment:

  1. I had to take a dessert to the family Christmas Party so I made these. They were pretty crunch but everyone ate them. There were a few left that I ate with some hot chocolate the next day. So yummmy!!

    ReplyDelete