Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Bake 52 Rewind Week 2: Bran Muffins

These  muffins are supposed to be made with raisens.  I had raisens but I read some of the other blogs from last year and a few bloggers used chocolate chips.  Well, chocolate chips are much better than raisens! 

The recipe tells you to grease a muffin tin.  I just used liners.  Much easier...

I used my magic bullet to grind up half the bran cereal and then measured the second half into the same container. 

The recipe calls for molasses.  I didn't have any and never use it so I decided to leave it out.  I had some dark brown sugar (which just has more molasses than light brown sugar) so I used that. 

I mixed the brown sugar with the egg, the egg yolk and the vanilla.

Then I mixed in the yogurt.  I upped the yogurt to just under two cups to replace the three tablespoons of molasses.  That was the moisture content was still the same (I hoped!). 

Once the melted butter, yogurt and cereal were mixed in I set it aside for the cereal to soften. 

Next I measured out the dry ingredients, mixed them and then dumped the wet mixture on top of it. 

I folded the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, just until everything was combined.  Then I dumped in the chocolate chips.  Yum!

To use up all the batter I had to fill the muffin cups very full. 

After 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven I had warm chocolate chip bran muffins. 
The bran flavor is very pronounced!  If you don't like bran flavor you won't like these muffins.  I liked the chocolate chips but I bet the raisens would have been good too - not as good as chocolate but still very sweet. 

If you want to make these muffins check out Valerie's blog for the complete recipe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment