Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cauliflower alla Parmigiana

I found this recipe on Pillsbury's website.  I'm always looking for good, easy, veggie sides.  Jonathan isn't a big fan of vegtables as you can imagine.  When I cook dinners he likes I have to have the veggie separate from everything else.  He just likes really simple things.  Any one pot meal is not his thing.  So lately to try and eat more veggies I've been making a vegatable side dish on the weekend that I can than eat as leftovers with whatever I make for the main dish and carb for me and Jonathan. 

I had some left over cauliflower so I used it plus the head I had purchased for this recipe.  The head I purchased with the roots and leaves was about a pound and a half.  So I figured once I cut what I had into florets and got rid of the core I had a pound and a half of cauliflower that I used in the recipe. 
I cut it all up in to florets and then dumped in a pot of boiling water for about 3 minutes.  I could have cooked it even less time.  It was very soft and tender after cooking the oven...

Once it was done I dumped the florets out and sliced it into pieces that were about the same in width.
The recipe calls for you to "arrange the slices, overlapping them tightly"  I just dumped all of it into the prepared pan.  Those flexible cutting boards really come in handy for stuff like this.
I seasoned the cauliflower and the dotted the top with butter.
Then I spread parmesan cheese and lemon flavored bread crumbs across the top. 
The whole thing went in the oven for about 30 minutes, until it was nice a brown.
So this is where my plan fell apart... I decided to have this as my side with the Shrimp dish I made for lunch because it doesn't have any veggies.
It worked out really well because they are both lemon flavored.  I'll post the shrimp recipe in the near future... it's very easy. 
If you like cauliflower this is an easy dish that looks like of elaborate and fancy.  It's also wonderful as leftovers!

2 comments: