Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Medsker's BBQ

The super bowl is next Sunday (or so I hear :-)) and every year (in the past) we've had a super bowl party at the Medsker's house.  Medsker always makes his BBQ, which if you talk to Boomer (or really anyone outside of the family) it's more like a sloppy joes recipe.  Either way it's great and super easy.  I made it for last Sunday dinner, a week early, but until I talked to Jade today on the phone I didn't realize it would have been more appropriate to wait a week. 

A single batch makes about 12 - 14 sandwiches.  You start with 2 pounds of ground beef.  I've made it with a 90% lean beef, but it makes for really dry leftovers.  So now I always make it with 80% lean beef.  The "real" recipe calls for 1/3 cup chopped onion and 1/2 cup chopped celery.  I always leave out the celery because I don't like it and never know what to do with the leftovers.  I also like to use dried onions because I always those on hand but don't always have a fresh onion.  Jonathan has never complained so it must be pretty similar.

While the hamburger browns and the onions soften I started putting together the sauce ingredients.
I mixed it all together in a measuring cup.
Once the hamburger was nicely brown..
I dumped in the sauce and mixed it well.
Then I just let it simmer for 45 minutes.  Easy, peasy.
I worked up the calories again, including the bun.  Jonathan let me get whole wheat buns, surprise, surprise...
I did the calories based on 12 servings and these buns. 
I don't know how to do a fancy printable like a real food blogger but I'll type up the recipe below so you can just copy and paste it to a word document if you do want to print it.

Medsker's BBB

2 pounds ground beef (80% lean)
1/3 cup chopped onion (fresh or dried)
½ cup chopped celery
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. White Vinegar
¼ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. mustard
1 cup ketchup
½ cup hot water

Brown hamburger with onions and celery.  Meanwhile combine the other ingredients and add to hamburger when browned.  Simmer 45 minutes. 

2 comments:

  1. Do you drain the fat or leave it in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You leave the fat in... If you aren't planning on having leftovers I would either drain the fat or use a higher percentage lean meat (like 95 or 97%). If you have leftovers you need some of the fat to keep the consistency right. And some of it just hardens and you can remove it then.

    ReplyDelete