Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sausage, Mushroom & Green Chili Breakfast Casserole

I found this recipe on Taste and Tell Blog.  It's another big breakfast casserole.  I started with french bread.  I sliced up about three-quarters of a loaf to get the 10 cups. 


After slicing the bread I cut it into squares... not very consistently sized squares but I figure it won't effect the final dish. 

The bread pretty much filled the 9x13" pan. 

Next step - brown the sausage.  I used maple flavored because I love that bit of sweetness with my sausage. 

After it was done I moved it to a bowl and cooked up the mushrooms. 

Once they were nice and brown I seasoned them with salt and moved them into the bowl with the sausage. 
When I planned this dish for my next breakfast I thought I had green chiles in my food storage.  I used to alwasy keep some in storage when we were in Utah.  But when I went to get them I couldn't find them.  Bummer!  Now what??

I decided I'd just add in some salsa.  To keep the moisture content more consistent with the original recipe I drained the salsa. 

I put in about a half a cup.  The recipe called for 8 oz of green chiles but I was worried if I did a full cup it would make the dish too spicy for me. 

I mixed those together, spread it over the top of the bread.  Then spread the cheese on top of that. 

Next I used my magic bullet to mix up the eggs.  Then I mixed them with the milk and half-and-half.  I poured the egg mix over the casserole and then pressed down on it a bit to make sure the bread soaked up the mix evenly. 

Then I covered it and stuck it in the frig overnight. 


After 50 minutes in the oven it was bubbly goodness!


I let it cool down before I had a piece.  It was pretty good.  I think next time (if there is a next time) I'd add some cooked veggies like broccoli or cauliflower with the sausage.  I could have easily added a full cup of salsa.  But next time I'd just make sure I had the green chilis on hand. 

I thought I'd figure out the nutrition on my recipes.  This is based on how I made it and using Calorie Count (an online calorie tool).
It's on the high side for fat content but it fits my 300 - 400 calories for breakfast criteria. 

No comments:

Post a Comment