Sunday, January 13, 2013

Baked Frittata w/Artichokes, Sun Dried Tomatoes & Feta

I thought this year I would get back to doing more cooking and get away from eating frozen entrees for more than two thirds of my meals.  I found this recipe at Two Peas & Their Pod.  When I pre-cook my meals I always look for recipes that include veggies for my breakfast.  It's much easier to have 5 servings of fruit or vegtable if you have veggies at every meal. 

I've tried lots of different fritta and quiche recipes.  I've even tried to make up my own recipes, but I'm not very good at figuring out ingredients that complement each other.  I've also tried cooking with sun dried tomatoes before.  I haven't been too impressed with the flavor but I keep trying because I think I should like them.  This time I used oil packed instead of water because that was all they had at Wal-mart.  It was a bit improvement in the flavor! 

I really liked this combination of artichokes, sun dried tomatoes and feta cheese.  But I only bought 4 oz of feta - I should have got 8 but I was worried I'd have left overs that I didn't know what to do with.  Turns out they suggest topping it with extra cheese if desired, so 8 would have been perfect.  Instead I added some mozzeralla to the top.  It was good but the best bites were the ones with the tangy flavor of feta with the tomato or artichoke. 

Oh well, next time I'll know.  It's a simple recipe, but it uses a lot of eggs!

Saute the onion and garlic.
Then I diced up the artichoke hearts (there were a lot of those too!) and the sun dried tomatoes...
I hate using more dishes than I have to, so I blended about half the eggs, dumped them in the pan, added the rest of the ingredients, mixed a bit and then dumped the rest of the eggs in. 
I added some mozzarella and it was ready to go in the oven.  It took about 45 minutes to bake. 

Looks tasty.  I've been enjoying this for breakfast all week!

No comments:

Post a Comment